Campus Location: Calmar, Peosta, Online
Program Entry: Enrollment may occur during any term
Award: Associate of Arts degree
Enrollment Process: See Enrollment Process
The Associate of Arts Criminal Justice Transfer Major provides a course of study which will transfer to specific four-year colleges and universities within Iowa. You will take courses in science, communication, math, humanities, social science and required criminal justice subject areas in preparation to transfer into a bachelor’s degree program.
If you plan to transfer to a four-year college, you should select courses to satisfy requirements of the specific institution to which you intend to transfer. Consult your advisor at the transferring four-year institution anytime you have questions about course selection.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with various audiences using various methods.
- Students will demonstrate competence in problem-solving, logical thinking, and the application of mathematical processes.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply fundamental concepts in the natural sciences.
- Students will understand the methods and models by which the social sciences study individuals, cultures, and societies.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of diverse cultures, historical viewpoints, and global perspectives.
- Students will locate, evaluate, and responsibly use and share information. Students will demonstrate competent and relevant technology skills.
- Students will understand the fundamental practices of the American government, its institutions, and politics.
- Students will develop basic methods of statistical reasoning. Students will understand the framework, operations, and processes of the US criminal justice system.
- Students will understand criminology theory and practice related to criminal behavior.
- Students will explain theories, concepts, and issues within the US juvenile criminal justice system.
Minimum Credits: 60
General Degree Requirements
- The Associate of Arts degree will include a minimum of 60 semester hours of courses designed and acceptable for transfer, and may include up to 16 semester hours of career-technical courses. Note: Students not ready to begin college/transfer level writing and math courses may need additional prerequisite coursework that requires them to exceed the 60 credit hours minimum.
- Students transferring an Associate of Arts degree to a public university must have maintained a minimum cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 2.0 on all graded arts and sciences courses acceptable for transfer.
- A 2.0 cumulative GPA and a passing grade in all required courses.
- Earn a minimum of 15 credit hours at NICC that meet degree requirements.
- Completion of SDV 179 - The College Experience course.
General Education Core Requirements
Math and Science: 10 Credits
- MAT 156 - Statistics
Remaining credits must be transfer level courses from MAT, BIO, CHM, ENV, PHS or PHY. At least one course must be a science with lab.
Social Science: 9 Credits
Humanities: 12 Credits
Credits must be transfer level courses from ART, ASL, CLS, DRA, FLS, HUM, LIT, MUS, PHI, REL
One of the following Literature courses is required: LIT 101 , LIT 110 , LIT 111 , LIT 134
One of the following History courses is required: ART 203 , ART 204 , HIS 131 , HIS 132 , HIS 151 , HIS 152 , HIS 214
One of the following diversity courses is required: ASL 131 , ASL 161 , ASL 241 , ASL 271 , COM 148 , FLS 141 , FLS 142 , FLS 241 , FLS 242 , HIS 214 , HUM 108 , LIT 134 , SOC 208