Campus Location: Calmar, Peosta, Online
Program Entry: Enrollment may occur during any term
Award: Associate of Science degree
Enrollment Process: See Enrollment Process
The Associate of Science Mathematics Transfer Major provides a course of study which will transfer to specific four-year colleges and universities within Iowa. You will take courses in science, communication, humanities, social science and required math subject areas in preparation to transfer into a bachelor’s degree program.
If you plan to transfer to a four-year college, you should select courses to satisfy requirements of the specific institution to which you intend to transfer. Consult your advisor at the transferring four-year institution anytime you have questions about course selection.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with various audiences using various methods.
- Students will demonstrate competence in problem-solving, logical thinking, and the application of mathematical processes.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply fundamental concepts in the natural sciences.
- Students will understand the methods and models by which the social sciences study individuals, cultures, and societies.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of diverse cultures, historical viewpoints, and global perspectives.
- Students will locate, evaluate, and responsibly use and share information.
- Students will demonstrate competent and relevant technology skills.
General Degree Requirements
- The Associate of Science degree will include a minimum of 60 semester hours of courses designed and acceptable for transfer, and may include up to 16 semester hours of career-technical courses. Note: Students not ready to begin college/transfer level writing and math courses may need additional prerequisite course work that requires them to exceed the 60 credit hours minimum.
- Students transferring an Associate of Science degree to a public university must have maintained a minimum cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 2.0 on all graded arts and sciences courses acceptable for transfer.
- A 2.0 cumulative GPA and a passing grade in all required courses.
- Earn a minimum of 15 credit hours at NICC that meet degree requirements.
- Completion of SDV 179 The College Experience course.
General Education Core Requirements
Humanities/Social Science: 12 Credits
Transfer level courses from ART, ASL, CLS, DRA, ECN. FLS, GEO, HIS, HUM, LIT, MUS, PHI, POL, PSY, REL, SOC
One of the following History courses is required: ART 203 , ART 204 , HIS 131 , HIS 132 , HIS 151 , HIS 152 , HIS 214
One of the following diversity courses is required: ASL 131 , ASL 161 , ASL 241 , ASL 271 , COM 148 , FLS 141 , FLS 142 , FLS 241 , FLS 242 , HIS 214 , HUM 108 , LIT 134 , SOC 208
Math and Science: 20 Credits